Tuesday, December 6, 2011

adventure with dog

Last night, Coop and I explored parts of Littlejohn Island that we had not been to before. I pretended nothing was off limits and walked through the woods like I used to do before the big houses were built on the tip of the island in the pines. It was just getting dark and we were very quiet. 

It's amazing to me that when I'm out in the woods, exploring and getting dirty by myself, I feel the sparks of childhood still deep and strong in my soul. Why do so many people lose this as time passes? Business suits replace muddy overalls and suddenly wonder, imagination and silliness have vanished. I will never let this happen. Don't let it happen to you. 

The light before the sun set framed every living thing in a glow and we were soaking it up. Coop felt his animal instinct set in and his nose carried him from tree, to mud flat and beyond. I followed carefully and  quietly, enjoying every second of light before the darkness settled in for the night. 









4 comments: