Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Bachelor Brothers Seek Hibiscus

That would be the want ad for the Fleming brothers. These three old guys never married and are now famous for their show-stopping Hibiscus Hybrids. Their mother was a naturalist and they all hail from a little town called Lincoln, Nebraska.  They are all since deceased, but their colorful legacy lives on around town and beyond.

When we first got to town, I was astounded by these enormous flowers that were literally everywhere. In the beginning of August (when we arrived), these giants were at the end of a month-long bloom. They took a few weeks off and are now blooming again--one last firework before the cold of fall rolls in. They are incredible to look at, but once a bloom goes south, it looks like the hem of a wedding gown that has been dragged through the rain and mud. Does this image sound familiar?

I went to a greenhouse today to ask about the hibiscus here and learned about the Fleming brothers. I think I picked the most humid day to do this. I had to leave the greenhouse on account of the sweat dripping down my cheeks, arms, and running down the backs of my knees. The only way to describe the weather today here is disgusting, but I found ways to make the best of it. Check out these blooms from our neighbor's garden...



2 comments:

  1. a mini paradise
    in a sauna
    a gold nugget
    in a steambath
    good sleuthing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fleming Brothers
    what a lovely legacy!

    ReplyDelete